Free and libre image editors
There is plenty of open-source image and photo editing applications that fits the need, to name a few:
Bitmap image editors
- GIMP — Fully-featured raster graphics image editor available for Linux, Windows, and macOS. With version 2.8, the user interface may be used in single-window mode, hardware-acceleration is being added, and in future releases, higher bit-depth support will be added.
- Krita — Originally intended for photo-editing, Krita is now intended much more as a painting tool, although it is still suitable for both. Has support for high bit depths.
Vector image editors
- Inkscape — Fully-featured vector image editor available for Linux, Windows, and macOS.
Free and libre image converters
Tools to convert to CRN or DDS
While most graphics application that is worth using can export natively to PNG, JPEG, and TGA, most applications currently cannot export directly to DDS. Converters and plug-ins are available, however:
- Crunch (Unity/Dæmon variant) for creating CRN or DDS files, ✅️ Recommended;
- Nvidia's DDS tools;
- ATi/AMD's Compressonator for creating DDS images on Windows only;
- The GIMP DDS Plug-in for creating DDS images with GIMP version 2.8.
Tools to convert to WebP format
The WebP formats begin to be widely supported and editors like GIMP can edit them, many image viewers now support this format and in all case, web browsers can now display it.
- cwebp is a WebP image converter by Google, ✅️ Recommended.
Tools to convert to PNG format
There is currently no recommended tool to convert to PNG format.
Recommended image formats
Those are recommended image formats to be used in source repositories and in game to be delivered to players, and related tools.
|Release||Generic image||CRN|| Crunch (with |
|Release||Normal map||Normalized CRN|| Crunch (with |
|Release||Lightmap, deluxemap||lossless WebP||cwebp|